Best Health Insurance for Senior Citizens
Here is a look at some of the best health insurance plans that are available in India for seniors
Star health's Red Carpet plan:
- All pre-existing diseases are covered except for diseases for which treatment was recommended by or received during the immediately preceding 12 months.
- Co-payment clause - 30% for other than claims for pre-existing diseases and 50% for pre-existing diseases.
- Discount of 10% on the premium is available if lab tests documents are submitted.
- Enhancement of SA is permitted during renewal time.
Apollo Munich's Optima Senior:
- Husband and wife can be covered under the policy on individual sum insured basis and get 5% discount on the premium
- Pre-screening medical tests are mandatory. The company would reimburse 50% of these expenses.
- 140 day-care procedures, which do not require 24 hours hospitalization, are covered
- Enhancement of SA is permitted during renewal
- Cumulative Bonus (CB) of 5% for every claim free policy year
- Pre-existing diseases are covered after 3 years
- 2 years waiting period for specific diseases like cataract, hernia, joint replacement surgeries etc.
- Co-payment of 30% applicable on specified illness/surgeries like Cataract (each eye), Hysterectomy, Arthroscopy etc.Co-payment of 15% shall be applicable to all Day Care Procedures
Max Bupa's Heartbeat:
- Reducing co-payment clause. This is a very good feature. After 4 years of continuous renewals the co-payment percentage will become nil for senior citizens.
- Free health check up every year
- Plan will not cover treatment during the first 90 days of the policy, unless the treatment needed is a result of an accident or emergency.
- All day care treatments are covered.
- 10% additional sum assured at each renewal.
ICICI Lombard's iHealth plan:
- No mandatory sub-limits. However the customer can get the hospitalization cover with a reduced premium by limiting the medical expenses pertaining to specified medical and surgical procedures.
- Co-payment clause is voluntary
- Free health check up every year
- Certain lists of diseases or ailments are not covered for first 2 years.
- Cumulative bonus of 10% on Sum assured can be accumulated for every claim free policy year.
National Insurance's Varishtha Mediclaim:
- Policyholder can either opt for a premium discount of 5% for each claim free year till it reaches 50% or can select the cumulative bonus option.
- Mandatory co-payment of 10% and additional 10% for pre-existing diseases.
- Sum Assured amounts are fixed at Rs 1Lakh for mediclaim and Rs 2 Lakhs for Critical Illness.
New India's Senior Citizen Mediclaim:
- Premiums will increase by 10% for renewals between age of 81-85 years and 20% for renewals between the age group 86-90 years
- Reimbursement of Medical Check-up costs once in block of 4 claim free years.
United India's Senior Citizen Plan:
- Free Medical check-up once at the end of every three policy years provided no claims are reported.
- Family discount of 5% on the total premium if policy is taken for self and any one or more family members viz. spouse or dependent children.
Bajaj Allianz's Silver Health:
- Reimbursement of pre-medical tests’ costs.
- Cumulative bonus of 10% for every claim free policy year.
- 20% co-payment is applicable if the policyholder is hospitalized in a non-network hospital.
- 1 year waiting period for pre-existing diseases. After one year, the company will pay only 50% of the claim amount on these diseases.
- 130 day-care procedures are covered.