Check Car Insurance Policy Online in India
Car insurance is a type of insurance that covers the cost of damage to or loss of a car. It may also cover the cost to repair or replace the car in case it is damaged or destroyed. Car insurance is a necessity for all car owners. It is a policy that covers the car owner and their vehicle against losses from accidents or theft.
Car insurance policies vary according to the type of coverage they offer, how much they cost, and how much risk they are willing to take on. When it comes to car insurance, many factors can affect the price. If you want to find the best deal on auto insurance, you should check out the competitive rates and coverage offered by different providers.
Check Types of Car Insurance Policies:
A large number of car owners purchase car insurance because the law mandates so. So, they buy third-party liability insurance only. Third-party liability insurance is cheaper but it has limited coverage. But some policies offer extensive coverage in case of an accident or any other unfortunate incidents such as theft.
Third Party Liability Insurance: This is the mandatory cover that all vehicle owners in the country must-have. It provides coverage in case of third-party liabilities that may arise due to your vehicle’s involvement in accidents. However, this cover does not protect you or your vehicle. It is basic coverage. So, in case of an accident, you will have to bear the entire cost of repairs. No riders are available in this plan and the premium for the insurance policy is determined by the regulator the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI).
Comprehensive Insurance: A comprehensive insurance cover will provide coverage for damages to your vehicle and third party liabilities. It is an extensive coverage that will protect you in case of an accident, damages due to natural or manmade calamities, and theft. The coverage also comes with optional riders that can help enhance your protection. It is advisable to invest in comprehensive insurance to enjoy complete protection at all times. The premium will be higher as compared to third party liability insurance.
Own damage Insurance policy: This policy will only provide for the damages to your vehicle. Third party liability is not covered under this plan. You can purchase the plan over and above the third-party liability insurance. However, it may not provide adequate coverage in case of accidents.
Why Renew Car Insurance Policy on Time?
Renewing your car insurance policy before its expiry is essential for the continued coverage of your car. If the policy is not renewed by the due date, your car insurance policy will expire or lapse. Here are the consequences of having a lapsed car insurance policy:
- It won’t cover any claims or legal liability of losses or damages to your car
- Violation of motor laws
- Higher renewal premium
- Loss of No Claim Bonus.
What is the benefit of checking Car Insurance Status Online?
- If you are involved in an unfortunate accident and do not have the information about the insurance policy of the vehicle in question, you can easily look up the details online by providing a few pieces of information.
- By doing so, you can gather data about the car’s insurance provider and place your claim for damages without the hassle and receive compensation.
How to Check Car Insurance Policy Status Online?
Having car insurance is vital. Firstly, third party insurance is compulsory. Secondly, car insurance provides a layer of protection against the uncertainties of the road. Every policyholder needs to keep in mind the status of their car insurance. Every insurance policy has an expiry date, most need to be renewed on an annual basis.
Moreover, an expired policy can get you heavy fines. Thus, at some point, you may want to check the status of your car insurance policy, assess the policy period, check if your car is still insured, or other relevant details. There are a variety of ways to check the status of your car insurance policy, be it online or offline.
Where to Check Car Insurance Validity?
Whenever you purchase an insurance policy, it will be automatically linked with the registration number of the vehicle. That is why you need a separate policy for every car you own. The linking helps conduct a vehicle insurance status check online by using the registration details. If you are wondering how to check car insurance, know more.
- Check your car insurance policy document
- Call the insurance companies
- Contact your insurance agent and ask the expiry date if you had purchased the policy through him/her customer support and ask them the expiry date
- Go to the website of the Insurance Information Bureau (IIB) of India and check your policy status
- Check the official website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways, VAHAN. You just need to provide the registration number of the vehicle and check the status
- Visit regulator IRDAI’s database, which is the official website of the Insurance Information Bureau, and follow the steps mentioned there to verify the status.
- Visit the official website of the Regional Transport Office (RTO) and provide the registration number of the vehicle to check your status of insurance
- You can also visit the State Transport Department’s website and check the status.
I.) Check Car Insurance Policy Status via MParivahan SEWA Online:
Parivahan Sewa is a centralized website maintained by the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways that stores the data of all the vehicles across the country. When a motor insurance policy is purchased or renewed, the data is updated on the Parivahan Sewa website within two days.
When checking the status of your car insurance policy is to check through VAHAN e-services. Let us know the steps to do so:
STEP 1: Visit the VAHAN e-services web page.
STEP 2: Click on “Know Your Vehicle”.
STEP 3: Enter the vehicle registration number as prompted, as well as the verification code.
STEP 4: Click on the “Search Vehicle” button.
STEP 5: View the insurance expiry date which will now be visible, alongside other relevant details of your vehicle.
II.) Check Car Insurance Policy Status Online via IIB Online:
Check car-insurance, file your claim online and receive the compensation for your losses in an easy, hassle-free way. Here's how:
- Visit the official website of the Insurance Information Bureau of India.
- Click on the tab marked V-Seva under “Quick Links". You will be redirected to the page of Accident Vehicle Information Retrieval System.
- Fill in the required details related to your car. You would be asked to enter:
- Name of the owner
- Mobile number
- Email id
- Vehicle registration number
- Date and place of the accident
- Submit the details, and next, you will get all relevant information about the car.
- Note that the car registered in the IIB portal has to match the details that you have entered.
- You can now access the insurance details of the car.
- From here, go on to the next step such as raising a claim, knowing your claim status, and more.
III.) Check Car Insurance Policy Status Online via QR Code:
Checking your car insurance status via QR code is the simplest way of doing so. Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority (IRDA) has made it mandatory for every car insurance policy to have a corresponding QR code with the necessary details. You can use your smartphone to scan the QR code and view all the relevant details of your insurance policy.
IV.) Checking Car Insurance Policy Status Offline via Contacting Regional Transport Office:
If online options are not available to you, you can check the status of your insurance by visiting or contacting the RTO office. You will have to provide your vehicle registration number for the needful.
Note: You can still renew your insurance 90 days after the expiry. However, if there are any delays after this period the policy will lapse and any accumulated NCB will also be lost. If this happens the insurance policy can no longer be renewed. The customer will have to purchase a new policy and go through inspection formalities once again.
How to Check Car Insurance Details by Registration Number?
The process to find car registration details is easy. You can trace car owner details by registration number online through a national registry known as VAHAN. The website is a central database that contains all crucial vehicle data or information like fuel type, owner name, road tax details, car class or type, registration date, registration number, and so on. It centralizes all information about driving licenses and vehicle registration certificates from different DTOs and RTOs. Below is the step to check vehicle registration details online-enabled through VAHAN:
- Step 1: Visit the website of VAHAN to check the car owner's name.
- Step 2: Click on ‘Know Your Vehicle Details’.
- Step 3: Enter the vehicle registration number which is your Car Plate Number.
- Step 4: Enter the human verification code and click on ‘Search Car’.
- Step 5: Make a note of the car owner’s name and other details of the car.
What is a Car Registration Number?
All road vehicles in India are required to be registered with a license number. The license number is also referred to as a vehicle registration number or number plate. The registration number is issued by the Regional Transport Office (RTO) of the concerned state. The registration number plate is placed on the front and back of the car.
The vehicle registration number is unique to each state and the locality it has been registered at. Below is the format (KA 01 AA 4567) for vehicle registration numbers plated in Karnataka:
- TN or KA or DL – Signifies the state.
- 01 – The RTO that the vehicle has been registered at.
- AA – Is given when there is no number to be given and to make it unique.
- 4567 – The registration number is exclusive to your vehicle.
How to Check Car Insurance Policy with PolicyBachat?
At PolicyBachat.com buy a car insurance policy online is easy and quickly sitting at home. Follow the below-mentioned steps to renew your policy within 5 minutes.
- Go to 'Car Insurance Online' to compare quotes above this article. Fill in the registration number of your car and required details and tap on 'Start Save Money.
- On the quotes section, either go with your current provider or choose another one to suit your needs.
- Make the payment and you will receive the confirmation at your email address. If assistance needs Call: 1800-123-4003.