Digit Car Insurance: Online Renewal, Coverage, Add-ons, Exclusions etc.
Digit general insurance company is an Indian insurtech start-up founded by Kamesh Goyal, ex Allianz CEO with the goal of making insurance simple and claims faster for customers. It is funded and backed by Fairfax Group, which is operating in more than 30 countries with a long term value approach towards India’s investments. Digit insurance also known as Go digit is mainly an online insurance company which focuses on selling insurance products such as Motor, Health, Travel and other miscellaneous products.
The company was founded in 2016 by Kamesh Goyal and received regulatory approval from Insurance regulatory and development authority of India in September 2017. Most of the claims settled by Digit insurance company are Motor insurance claims and the next major part of claims settled are of Health.
Digit insurance company has partnered with many companies such as Amazon, Flipkart, and online travel websites such as Make my trip etc to offer travel insurance, Covid insurance etc. Due to its aggressive marketing, many people are now interested in fulfilling their insurance requirements online which can reduce a lot of time and energy. Due to the Covid lockdown in India, digital insurance has seen a tremendous growth which made Digit a go to insurance company for many of the customers. The claim settlement ratio of Digit general insurance company and the claim settlement process is made quite simple that even a 15 year old can understand both the insurance product and the claim process.
Like any other company Digit has also started its journey with Motor insurance and has now expanded to all the other general insurance products such as Property insurance, Health insurance, Group health insurance, Travel insurance, Mobile insurance etc. Digit insurance has recently on boarded famous cricket personality Virat Kohli as their brand ambassador in which they feel they can take the branch among the masses.
What is Covered Under Digit Car Insurance Policy?
Digit car insurance policy is an agreement between the insurance company and the customer in which the insurance company settles the loss or damages incurred due to an accident in return for a nominal premium to be paid by the customer to the insurance company. Digit four wheeler car insurance policies are designed to ensure that your car is protected from the damages caused as a result of perils mentioned in the policy document.
Below are the perils covered under Digit car insurance policy:-
- Own Damage Section:
Third Party Section:
- Damage due to Fire, Explosion, Self Ignition or Lightning.
- Burglary or House breaking or Theft.
- Damage due to Riot and Strike.
- Malicious damage
- Earthquake including Fire & Shock
- Damage due to Natural peril of Act of God such as Flood, Storm, Hurricane etc.
- Damage due to accidental external means
- Damage due to Terrorist activity.
- Damage caused to the car while in Transit by Rail, Road, and Inland waterway, Lift, Elevator or Air.
- Damage due to Landslide / Rockslide.
Personal Accident Cover:
- Legal liability arising out of bodily injury / death of third parties involved in an accident with the insured car.
- Property damage of third parties caused due to an accident involving the insured four wheeler car.
- Personal accident cover compensates in the event of death or disability of the owner/driver due to an unfortunate incident while travelling on the insured four wheeler car. The compensation under the personal accident cover of Digit car insurance policy would not exceed Rs.15 L.
Digit Car Insurance Add-ons:
Digit car insurance policy offers extra coverage to your car in the form of add-ons or riders on payment of extra premium at the time of policy purchase. The list of add-ons offered by the Digit car insurance policy is mentioned below:
- Parts Depreciation Protect:
Depreciation is the reduction in the value of an item or part over a period of time due to the usage. The wear and tear results in the reduction of an item’s value which is known as depreciation. Under this add-on the insurance company will cover the depreciation amount on the assessed damaged parts pertaining only to the applicable damaged parts category as per the plan opted by the customer. Cover/Benefits under this plan would be as per the plan and the co-payment if any opted would be calculated at the time of claim settlement.
The benefits under this add-on would only be available if the vehicle is repaired at Digit Authorized Repair shop. In case the vehicle is repaired at any other workshop the customer should bear an additional 20% co-payment of the assessed claim under this add-on. The benefits under this add-on are available and can be utilized up to a maximum specified number of times as mentioned in the policy document during the policy period. It is important to note that the benefits under this add-on are available only if the own damage claim has been accepted by the insurance company.
- Engine & Gear Box Protect:
The engine and gear box protector covers the loss or damage to the engine and gear box arising out of:
- Water ingression – Water entering into the engine and damaging the internal parts.
- Leakage of lubrication oil- The leakage of lubrication oil can result in heating of engine and result in breakdown of the engine permanently.
- Damage to gear box- Gear box could be damaged due to any of the above mentioned reasons such as water ingression, leakage of oil etc. which is covered under this add-on.
- Undercarriage damage- “Undercarriage Damage” shall mean the damage to the Engine and/or Gear Box and/or Transmission Internal Parts of Your Vehicle due to lubricant leakage caused by an external impact.
Under this add-on due to the above damages the insurance company shall pay for:-
- Repair and replacement costs of the Engine’s internal parts such as Crankshaft, Cylinder head, cam shaft, pistons, piston sleeve, gadget pins etc.
- Repair or replacement of the affected internal child parts of the gear box, differential or transmission assembly such as gear shafts, shifter, synchroniser rings / sleeves, actuator, sensor, Mechatronics and its affected child parts and bearings.
- Labour Cost required to carry out the repair or replacement of the damaged child-parts of the Engine or damaged gear box, differential and transmission assembly.
- Cost of Consumables replenished including lubricating oil, coolant, nuts and bolts during the repair.
Under this add-on cover the insurance company will compensate the replacement/replenishing costs of the consumables with new ones, in the event of partial loss to the insured vehicle or its accessories arising out of any peril covered under the own damage section of the insurance policy.
“Consumables” shall mean any item or substance of Insured Vehicle which is not damaged in the Accident and has limited life or has been consumed completely/partially during their usage and deemed to be unfit for reuse and needs replacement to complete the vehicle repair. Such as bolt, screw, nut, engine oil, gear box oil, power steering oil, coolant, AC gas oil, brake oil, AC refrigerant, battery electrolyte, windshield washer fluid, radiator coolant, oil filter, fuel filter, bearings, washers, clip, rivets and items of similar nature excluding fuel.
Under this add-on the insured would be eligible for the below mentioned services or benefits from the insurance company or the Assistance service provider depending on the plan opted by the customer:-
Keys & Locks Protect:
- Flat Battery: In case the insured vehicle is immobilized due to malfunctioning of battery within the set geographical limit, the digit insurance company would make an alternate arrangement to make the vehicle mobile. The cost of labour would be borne by the insurance company but the cost of repair or replacement of the battery should be borne by the customer if needed.
- Spare Keys: If your vehicle keys are lost or you are locked in the car, then the insurance company would arrange for pickup and delivery of the spare keys of the insured vehicle to the place of vehicle. Alternatively, in the absence of spare keys, the insurance company would provide the service of unlocking the insured vehicle with the help of technicians at the location of the vehicle. The labour cost and conveyance costs towards this assistance would be provided by the Digit insurance company.
- Flat Tyre: In case the insured vehicle is immobilized due to flat tyre within the set geographical limit, the digit insurance company would make an alternate arrangement to organize a vehicle technician to replace the flat tyre with the spare tyre. In case the repairs are not possible, digit insurance company would arrange to take the tyre to the nearest place of repair and get the repair done.
- Minor Repairs: In case the insured vehicle becomes immobile due to a minor mechanical/ electrical fault, the Digit insurance company would assist the customer with telephonic assistance to come up with solutions for such minor faults.
- Towing facility: In the event of the insured vehicle being immobilized or rendered unfit for the purpose of driving on the road which cannot be repaired on the spot of break down or accident, digit insurance would arrange for appropriate towing services to the nearest Digit Authorized Repair Shop.
- Medical Coordination: If the insured Vehicle meets with an accident as a result of which You and/or any of the travelling passengers requires medical care, digit insurance would arrange for the telephonic contact details of the nearest available Medical Centre.
- Fuel Assistance: In case of the insured vehicle being immobilized due to emptying of fuel tank, digit insurance company would arrange for supply of 5 litres of fuel at the location of breakdown. The service is also available in case the insured vehicle is immobilized due to contaminated fuel and towing of the vehicle to the nearest garage would be provided under this add-on cover.
- Taxi Benefits: In case the insured vehicle is immobilized due to an accident/ breakdown at least 500 kms away from the city of residence of insured, digit insurance shall provide free travel to the occupants of the insured vehicle to a single destination provided the repair time exceeds 6 hours from the time of accident/breakdown.
- Accommodation Benefits: In case the insured vehicle is immobilized due to an accident/ breakdown at least 500 kms away from the city of residence of the insured, digit insurance would arrange for a hotel accommodation/ stay arrangement for one-day subject to per day limit of amount as specified in the policy provided the time required for repair would exceed 6 hours from the time of accident/ breakdown.
- Legal Advice: If the insured vehicle meets with an accident, as a result of which there would be a need for legal advisor, digit insurance company would arrange for the telephonic contact details of an appropriate legal advisor belonging to a nearby area as requested by the insured.
Under this add-on cover, digit insurance company would indemnify the insured the cost incurred towards:-
- Replacing the insured vehicle’s keys upon the occurrence of theft or burglary or accidental loss or damage to the keys during the Policy Period.
- Cost of installing new lock or the lockset in Your Vehicle, including the locksmith charges, provided there is a security risk arising out of the incidence of lost keys of insured Vehicle.
- Cost of repairing/replacing insured locks and keys or the lockset, including the locksmith charges, provided that the Insured Vehicle is broken into.
Under this add-on the digit insurance company will reimburse the:-
Return to Invoice:
- Cost of replacing the damaged tyre(s) with a new equivalent or near equivalent tyre(s) of make model and specification similar to the one being used in the Insured vehicle at the time of availing Car insurance/at the time of accident/damage to the tyre
- Labour charges toward removing & refitting of the tyre and Charges towards wheel balancing, as may be necessitated, arising out of accidental loss or damage to Tyre & Tubes of the insured Vehicle making the tyre unfit for use due to a bulge in the tyre, bursting of tyre and cut or damage to the tyre.
In the event of the insured vehicle being a Total loss/ Constructive total loss/ Total Theft, then the digit insurance company may compensate the insured in any of the below ways:-
- Pay the cost of new vehicle of same or near equivalent make, model, features, specification of the Insured Vehicle less amount payable under Car Insurance Policy; or
- If exactly same make, model, variant is discontinued digit Liability will be limited to the shortfall with respect to the last available invoice price of the Insured Vehicle immediately before discontinuation.
In addition to the above, insured will also receive the following benefits:
- Payment towards First time registration charges of the New Vehicle.
- Payment of Road Tax
- Insurance Policy to Cover the New Vehicle which includes Own Damage Cover, Third Party Liability Cover and Add-On Cover (as availed in Your Car Insurance Policy) provided insured opt to insure the new vehicle with Digit insurance company.
- Payment of Cost of any accessories including bi-fuel kit which were specifically Insured under Section 1 (Own Damage) of the Car Insurance Policy provided these are not part of factory fitted accessories of the new vehicle.
Under this add-on the insured is indemnified for the loss or damage caused to his/her baggage kept in the insured car due to an insured peril. The lists of perils which are covered under this particular add-on are mentioned in the Digit car insurance policy terms and conditions. Personal baggage generally includes clothing, toiletries, perfumes, bags and suitcases or other daily essentials. Baggage insurance compensates the loss of baggage due to theft or burglary or due to an accident. However, certain items such as Gold, silver items and other precious metals are not covered in addition to the luxury items such as Laptops, Mobiles etc.
PA Cover for unnamed passengers:
The personal accident cover for unnamed passengers covers the death or disability of passengers travelling on the car at the time of accident. The maximum sum assured for personal accident cover is limited to Rs.2 Lacs per passenger travelling on the car. The PA cover for unnamed passengers would be charged based on the number of passengers mentioned in the RC copy of the car. For instance if the seating capacity is mentioned as 7 which includes the driver, then the PA cover for unnamed passengers can be taken for the remaining 6 passengers excluding the driver.
The cost incurred to repair the additional fitments will also be paid by the insurance company if extra premium is paid and the coverage is opted. Additional fitments are covered under the Insured declared value of the own damage section. Extra fittings such as Stereo, Car fittings etc., which do not come with the showroom fitting, are covered under this add-on.
A “per day” cash benefit would be paid to the insured customer if the car is in the workshop for more than a certain number of days as mentioned in the policy document following an accidental damage. The benefit is payable only if the claim is accepted by the insurance company as per the terms & conditions mentioned under the policy. A maximum of 2 claims shall be admissible under this add-on cover.
Key Features of Digit Car Insurance Policy:
There are certain key features of Digit Car insurance policy which are mentioned below:-
- Door step pickup, repair and drop with 6 months repair warranty. The service is available for repairs only at the network garages.
- Smart phone enabled self inspection in which the insured can click the photos of damaged parts and upload on the app for the claim to be processed within 7 minutes!!
- The car insurance policy can be purchased for four wheelers aged up to 20 years online on our portal above which the decision would be taken by the insurance company based on the condition of the car.
- Breakdown Assistance cover is provided to four wheeler cars and commercial vehicles if the vehicles are immobilized at least 500kms away from the insured’s city of residence.
- Depreciation Shield cover, Engine protection cover and Consumables cover are given for four wheeler aged up to 5 years. Engine cover and breakdown cover are available for vehicles aged more than 5 years also.
- Instant policy issuance in case of four wheeler car. Policy copy would be available immediately after the payment of premium.
- Endorsements such as Name correction, Address correction etc would be done within 24-48 hours of submitting the request.
- Digit car insurance claim toll free number is 1800-258-5956 which can also be used for assistance in case of car breakdown.
- Digit general insurance has tied up with more than 4600+ garages to facilitate cashless claim settlement service with doorstep pickup and drop service.
- Transfer of no claim bonus from previous policy (up to 50%) and transfer in case of new vehicle purchase.
- Claim Settlement ratio of 96% which shows the dedication of Digit general insurance company in settling the claims of their customers within a short period of time.
Types of Digit Car Insurance
Digit car insurance is of the below types:
- Only Third party car insurance:
Digit third party car insurance policy covers the legal liability arising out of bodily injury or death of third parties involved in an accident with the insured vehicle. In addition to this it also covers the third party property damage caused due to an insured four wheeler car. The third party car insurance is mandatory as per the Motor vehicles Act to ply on public roads without which the driver/owner may be fined up to Rs.5000 or imprisonment up to 3 months or both. The third party Car Insurance Premium of Digit can be calculate online using the link which includes the personal accident cover to owner driver up to INR 15 L.
- Comprehensive car insurance:
The comprehensive car insurance from Digit includes the Own damage section as well as the Third party section. Own damage section covers the loss or damage to the four wheeler car due to an insured peril such as Fire, Theft, Act of God, Malicious damage etc., acting at the time of damage. Digit comprehensive car insurance is also known as Full insurance in the market as it covers both the First party as well as the Third party. Digit comprehensive car insurance policy can be purchased from Online Portal by entering the basic details such as Make and model of the four wheeler cars, date of registration and RTO.
- Comprehensive with Add-ons:
Digit insurance company provides the option of add-ons with the comprehensive cover to its customers. There are almost 7 add-ons which can be opted by the customer at the time of policy purchase. Depreciation shield covers the cost of depreciation on the repair or replacement parts at the time of claim settlement without which the customer would be liable to pay the depreciation costs. Consumables such as Engine oils, Air filters, AC oil etc., would be replaced at the time of claim and are paid under this add-on. Engine protector covers the loss or damage to the engine due to leakage of oil or water ingression. Keys & Locks section covers the loss or damage to the keys or lock of the car due to an accident as a result of an insured peril. Personal baggage section covers the loss or damage to personal items such as Clothing, toiletries, perfumes, books etc.
Digit Car Insurance Premium Calculation
Digit car insurance premium depends on many factors such as IDV, Add-ons, Age of the car, Make and Model of the car, year of registration, Manufacturing date, Previous NCB, RTO etc. Digit Car Insurance Premium can be obtained instantly using the online calculator . It is advisable to use this car insurance calculator before deciding on setting the budget for the car insurance.
Below are the factors which need to be input to get the Digit car insurance premium online:
- Basic details such as Name, E-mail, Mobile number etc.,
- Car Make and Model which decides the premium of the car to be paid by the customer.
- Insured declared value which is the maximum liability of the insurance company in case of any claim. Higher the IDV, higher the premium.
- Year of registration of the car to arrive at the age of the car. Digit general insurance covers four wheelers up to 10 years of age online. Cars aged above 20 years would be subject to inspection and approval from the underwriting team before quoting.
- Previous year No claim bonus also decides on the premium to be paid for Digit car insurance policy. Higher the NCB, lower would be the premium to be paid by the customer.
- RTO location decides on the premium to be paid in the online car insurance calculator. State capitals are classified under Zone A while the rest of cities come under Zone B.
Digit Car Insurance Claim Process:
Digit has simplified the claim settlement process for their customers. Below is the process of claim settlement with Digit insurance:
Step 1: Claim Registration
The first step in the claim process is to register the claim by calling on the Toll free number 1800 -258-5956 and registering the claim by mentioning the basic details such as policy number, date and time of accident, brief description of the accident, approximate claim costs etc. A claim intimation number would be assigned by the Digit claims team which should be quoted for further communications regarding the claim. Digit team will take you through the entire claim process and would assist you in each and every step of the claim settlement process.
Step 2: Repairs
The next step in the car claim settlement process is to take the car to the nearest garage for repairs. Digit has tied up with more than 4600 garages Pan India to provide cashless service to the customers. This Pan India service can be utilised by anyone and get the repairs done at any part of India. In case of minor damages the car can be driven to the nearest garage for undertaking repairs, if in case the car is in immovable condition then the towing services can be availed to two the car to the nearest garage.
Step 3: Claim Settlement
Digit‘s Door step Pickup, Repair and Drop feature allows the customers to get their vehicles picked up by the representatives of the insurance company and are repaired in the garage before being delivered to the customer. Digit insurance company would send an inspection link to the customer to carry out the inspection of the damaged vehicle instead of waiting for the surveyor which could take up to 48 hours depending on the place of accident.
The link for self inspection would be sent to the registered mobile number of the customer from which the customer can shoot the damaged parts of the vehicle to process the claim. Basically the process is simple such as the Do it yourself (DIY) where the customer would be need to simply follow the instructions while uploading the damaged parts. Digit claim insurance team would assess the damage and get back to the customer with an estimate. Post this, the customer has the option to go for either reimbursement or cashless through the network garages pan India.
In case there is an accident where your vehicle has damaged someone else’s vehicle or injured someone then it needs to be reported to the insurance company immediately. FIR should be lodged at the local police station and a copy of it should be submitted to the insurance company. A claim should be registered by intimating the details of claim mentioning the policy copy number. It is to be noted that all the third party claims would be settled in a Motor Accident Claims Tribunal (MACT).
In case of theft, the insured should report the incident to the local police and file an FIR which should be submitted to the insurance company to process the claim.
In most of the cases, no form needs to be filled to process the claim.
If you are not satisfied with the claim amount or there is a disagreement on the quantum of the claim amount, you can approach the ombudsman of the insurance company before trying for the arbitration process which involves arbitrators from both ends to meet and discuss on the quantum of claim to be settled instead as a case of out of court settlement.
Documents Required for Digit Car Insurance Claim Settlement:
There are certain documents required by Digit claims team for car insurance claim settlement process which are mentioned below:-
Own Damage Claim:
- Original policy copy and Registration copy of the car in the name of the insured. If the name of insured and name on the RC doesn’t match, claim will be denied by the insurance company.
- Valid driving licence of the driver who was driving the car at the time of accident. Claim would not be settled if the driver doesn’t have valid licence at the time of accident.
- Claim bills or estimate to be submitted to the insurance company from the garage in case of reimbursement.
- Car engine number and chassis number, Odometer reading would be verified before the claim settlement.
Third Party Claim:
- Copy of FIR in case of theft should be submitted to the insurance company.
- Copy of Non traceable certificate also should be submitted. If the police are not able to recover the car within 90 days of complaint then a Non traceable certificate would be provided to process the claim.
- All the other documents such as original policy copy, RC copy should be handed over to the insurance company.
- RC copy should be nullified by intimating the RTO.
- Spare keys of the car should be submitted to the insurance company.
- In case of Third party bodily injury claim, FIR should be submitted and the same needs to be intimated to the insurance company.
- Details of the other vehicle(s) involved in accident with the insured car should be mentioned in the claim form.
- In case of property damage claim the details of property damaged should be mentioned in the claim form.
- All other documents such as original policy copy, RC Copy, Driving licence should be submitted to the insurance company.
Digit’s Smartphone enabled self inspection process allows the customer to shoot the damaged parts instead of waiting for a third party to visit and access the loss.
Once the damaged parts are shot and uploaded, digit insurance would access the loss and make the payment depending on the mode of repair chosen by the insured customer.
Documents Required for Digit Car Insurance Online Purchase:
There are certain documents required to purchase car insurance online from Digit general insurance company. They are mentioned below:-
- Registration certificate of the car to know the Make & model of the car, Year of manufacture of the car, RTO location, Car registration number etc.
- Previous year policy copy of the car to understand the No claim bonus available, expiry date of the policy etc.
- Nil claims declaration from customer in case of No known or reported claims in the previous year.
- You can purchase Digit four wheeler insurance from Online Portal after entering the basic details such as Car registration number, Year of registration or manufacture, RTO location, Make and model of the car and previous year policy details.
Exclusions Under Digit Car Insurance:
There are certain exclusions under Digit car insurance which are not covered by the insurance company. Let us understand the exclusions under Digit car insurance policy:-
- Any accidental loss or damage and or liability caused or incurred outside the Geographical area;
- Any claim arising out of contractual liability;
- Any accidental loss or damage caused when the car is used
- Loss or damage caused to the car when driven by a person without a valid driving licence or by a person other than the driver as stated in the Driver’s clause.
- Any accidental loss or damage to any property whatsoever or any loss or expense whatsoever resulting or arising there from or any consequential loss.
- Any liability of whatsoever nature directly or indirectly caused by or contributed to by or arising from ionising radiations or contamination by radioactivity from any nuclear fuel or from any nuclear waste from the combustion of nuclear fuel. For the purpose of this exception combustion shall include any self-sustaining process of nuclear fission.
- Any accidental loss or damage or liability directly or indirectly caused by or contributed to by or arising from nuclear weapons material.
- Any accidental loss damage and/or liability directly or indirectly or proximately or remotely occasioned by contributed to by or traceable to or arising out of or in connection with war, invasion, the act of foreign enemies, hostilities or warlike operations (whether before or after declaration of war) civil war, mutiny rebellion, military or usurped power or by any direct or indirect consequence of any of the said occurrences and in the event of any claim hereunder the insured shall prove that the accidental loss damage and/or liability arose independently of and was in no way connected with or occasioned by or contributed to by or traceable to any of the said occurrences or any consequences thereof and in default of such proof, the Company shall not be liable to make any payment in respect of such a claim.
Top 5 Reasons to Buy Digit Car Insurance:
Here are the top 5 reasons to purchase your car insurance policy from Digit insurance company without any delay:-
- Cheaper Premiums:
Go digit general insurance company is a truly insurtech insurance company in the insurance industry which has disrupted the industry with its cheap premiums. Since the insurance is done online there would be no need for agent commission, the benefit of which would be passed on to the customer in the form of reduced premium. The intermediary margin amount is saved by the customer thereby eliminating the need for intermediary in the insurance purchase process. Since the policy purchase process is done online, the company would be able to save on the costs of paper and other administrative costs which are ultimately passed on to the customers in the form of reduced premium.
Even though the premium offered by Digit insurance company cheap compared to the competitors it doesn’t necessarily mean that there would be deficiency in the services. The reduction in premium from Digit general insurance company can be attributed to the reduction in administrative and other commissions. The car insurance premium starts at Rs.2700 and is the cheap premium in the market.
- Faster Claim Settlement:
The claim settlement process of Digit insurance company is quite simple and almost 90% of the reported motor claims would be settled within 30 days of reporting. There is no need to fill claim form for the claim to be processed as the details would be taken online by the insurance company. Smartphone enabled claim settlement process reduces the claim processing time as the damaged parts are surveyed online by the insurance company using the inspection link where the customer needs to shoot the damaged parts and upload on the link. The claims team of the digit insurance would decide on the repair costs and intimate the same to the customer. Now the customer has on option to go for either cashless at the network garages or reimbursement option.
- More number of add-ons:
Digit general insurance company offers almost 7 add-on covers to their car insurance customers. These add-ons include Depreciation cover, Consumables cover, Engine and gearbox cover, Road side assistance cover, Key replacement cover etc. These add-ons can be availed on payment of extra premium to the insurance company. The add-ons or riders can be used to enhance the insurance coverage of your car insurance.
The add-on or riders improve the chance of claim settlement in case of any type of damage to the insured car. Few add-ons such as Road side assistance, PA to paid driver etc are available even for vehicles aged more than 5 years.
- Top rated company:
Digit is the only 5 star rated insurance companies in the Indian insurance market. Most of the customers are satisfied with the services provided by Digit insurance company and thereby rated the company 5/5 on Facebook. The policy purchase process and the claim settlement process are quite simple when compared to the other insurance companies. One biggest advantage of Digit insurance company is that there would be no need for the customer to fill claim form in order to make a claim.
- Efficient Customer Support:
The real use of insurance policy comes at the time of an accident and the accidents can happen at any point of time either day or night or on holidays. For this reason, the 24*7 customer support from Digit insurance company is available to their customers. There is an efficient customer support team to assist their customers to make their claim settlement process smooth and hassle-free.
The customer support team of Digit insurance company would work even on National holidays and other days to provide efficient support to the customers in case of any emergencies.
FAQs of Digit Car Insurance:
Can I purchase Digit Car insurance online?
Yes, you can purchase Digit car insurance policy online from the Online Portal by entering the details of your car such as Make & Model, Year of registration, RTO location etc.
Is claim payable if I purchase insurance online?
Yes. Claim is payable if you purchase your car insurance online. Online is another mode of purchase just like offline purchase from agent or through bank. The claim process is made mostly online and hence the need to visit an office at the time of claim would be drastically reduced with the Motor on the spot feature of Digit.
Can I renew my existing Digit car insurance policy online?
Yes, you can renew your existing Digit car insurance online till the vehicle reaches 15 years of age. The renewal process is quite simple which involves the customer to enter the policy details and proceed to payment page.
My car is more than 20 years old; will Digit insure my car?
If the age of your car is more than 20 years of age, please contact the toll free number 1800-123-4003 to get assistance from our car insurance expert. Four wheelers aged above 20 years would be insured after satisfied inspection report.
How is the claim settlement ratio of Digit?
The claim settlement ratio of Digit is 96%* which is considered as the best claim settlement ratio in the insurance market. The claim settlement ratio would change from time to time and the high settlement ratio indicates the high chance of your claim getting settled. More than 90.4% of the motor claims are settled within 30 days from the date of intimation which shows the dedication of Digit towards claim settlement.
What are the advantages of Digit car insurance policy if purchased online?
There are many advantages of purchasing car insurance online from Digit general insurance company such as: Instant policy issuance, Policy purchase from your place of comfort, less paperwork, No need to visit office physically etc. These advantages make it attractive to purchase Digit Car Insurance Policy online using the link
Can I get Bumper to bumper cover for my car?
Yes, you can purchase bumper to bumper cover for your car from Digit general insurance company for cars which are aged not more than 5 years. Bumper to bumper is also known as zero depreciation cover which settles the depreciation cost at the time of a claim. Additional premium needs to be paid if you opt for bumper to bumper cover along with the comprehensive car insurance.
If I renew my car insurance with Digit, will my NCB stay intact?
No claim bonus is given to the driver/owner of the car based on the driving behaviour and is eligible to be carried forward at the time of renewal. NCB stays intact if you renew your car insurance with Digit even though your previous car insurance was with a different insurance company. No claim bonus becomes zero if there is any reported claim in the previous year.
Can I purchase only Third party car insurance?
Yes, only third party car insurance can be purchased as it is mandatory to have a TP insurance to drive in public places. But it is advisable to have a comprehensive car insurance policy to safeguard your financial interests. Third party car insurance premium is decided by the Government of India and is subject to change each year.
What is Comprehensive Car insurance?
Comprehensive car insurance from Digit covers the loss or damage to the car due to any of the insured peril acting at the time of accident and the legal liability arising out of bodily injury or death of third parties due to an accident involving the insured car. Third party section also covers the property damage of third parties involved in the accident.
Does Digit offer any discount for online purchase?
Digit offers extra discount for online purchase of car insurance. To avail extra discount on your car insurance please visit the Online Portal . The extra discount would be offered on the own damage section of the car insurance whereas the TP premium is pre fixed based on the cubic capacity of the car.
What type of cars/ four wheelers does Digit insure?
Digit insures every make and model four wheeler cars up to the age of 20 years considering the date of registration. Any model car insurance can be purchased online from Digit general insurance company. For vehicles more than 20 years of age, please contact our car insurance expert who will assist you with your car insurance renewal from Digit general insurance company.
What is the Sum Insured in my Car insurance policy?
The Insured Declared Value (IDV) of the vehicle will be deemed to be the sum insured for the purpose of the policy which is agreed at the commencement of each policy period for the insured vehicle. The maximum liability of the insurance company in case of an accident would not exceed the insured declared value mentioned in the policy copy. The insured declared value will be agreed by both the parties before the commencement of the risk.
The IDV of the vehicle is fixed on the basis of Manufacturer’s selling price of any particular brand of car and is adjusted for depreciation each year. The schedule of age wise depreciation is shown below:-
|Age of the Vehicle
||% of IDV depreciation
|Not exceeding 6 months
|Exceeding 6 months but not exceeding 1 year
|Exceeding 1 year but not exceeding 2 years
|Exceeding 2 years but not exceeding 3 years
|Exceeding 3 years but not exceeding 4 years
|Exceeding 4 years but not exceeding 5 years
How is deprecation calculated in Digit car insurance policy?
Depreciation is the decrease in the value of the parts of car as a result of wear and tear of the car over a period of time. The depreciation factor is taken into consideration at the time of claim settlement by the insurance company. The percentage of depreciation is different for different parts of the car which are mentioned below:-
|Type of part
||% of Depreciation
|Rubber/ nylon / plastic parts, tyres and tubes, batteries and air bags
|Fibre glass components
- In the case of painting, depreciation rate of 50% shall be applied only on the material cost of total painting charges. In case of a consolidated bill for painting charges, the material component shall be considered as 25% of the total painting charges for the purpose of applying the depreciation.
- Rate of depreciation for all other parts including wooden parts would be as per the below table:
|Age of the Vehicle
||% of IDV depreciation
|Not exceeding 6 months
|Exceeding 6 months but not exceeding 1 year
|Exceeding 1 year but not exceeding 2 years
|Exceeding 2 years but not exceeding 3 years
|Exceeding 3 years but not exceeding 4 years
|Exceeding 4 years but not exceeding 5 years
|Exceeding 5 years but not exceeding 10 years
|Exceeding 10 years
How to reduce my car insurance premium with Digit car insurance policy?
Digit provides special discounts to customers in the below cases and the car insurance premium can be reduced by following the below tips:
- Automobile Association membership reduces the premium to be paid by the customer for car insurance policy.
- Fitting an Anti theft device such as GPS, Steering Lock, Tyre Lock, Burglary alarms etc., can reduce the car insurance premium considerably.
- Opting for higher voluntary deductibles can also reduce the car insurance premium to be paid by the customer.
- Restricting the third party property damage limit can also reduce the premium to be paid by the insured.
What is Cover Note in Digit Car insurance?
Cover note is a temporary document issued to the customer which mentions the risk acceptance of the insurance company in return for the premium paid. The cover note is considered as a temporary car insurance policy copy. The validity of a cover note is for 90 days after which it should be renewed. The use of cover note is reduced drastically these days after the introduction of online car insurance policy issuance.
My car insurance policy has expired, how to renew?
The process of renewal of expired or break-in car insurance policy is made simple with Digit general insurance company. A pre inspection would be carried out by a third party associated with Digit or an inspection link would be sent to customer by Digit to carry out the pre inspection. This process is carried out by the insurance company to understand the risk being accepted from the customer. The pre inspection is carried in the below scenarios as well:-
- Break-in insurance
- Conversion of TP insurance policy to a Comprehensive insurance policy
- Fresh Payment after cheque bounce
- Addition of add-ons which were not opted in the previous year.
- Name transfer in case of sale/ purchase of vehicle.
I have paid premium twice by mistake, how can I claim refund?
The premium towards the purchase of Digit car insurance policy with PolicyBachat is Safe, Simple and 100% Secure. There might be instances where the amount was deducted twice for a single policy. In these cases there is no need for the customer to panic as the refund would be processed by the Digit general insurance company. Customer can make a formal request to the insurance company for refund if the refund is not processed automatically.
What is the GST under car insurance?
Car insurance premiums attract 18% GST. The GST is calculated on the total premium which includes the Own damage premium as well as the Third party premium. The GST paid by the customer will be redirected to the government of India and doesn’t count for the premium accumulated by the insurance company.
What is the grace period in Digit car insurance?
Grace period is the time given to the customer for premium payment to prevent the policy from lapsing thereby giving a chance to customer to enjoy the benefits of the insurance. Unfortunately in motor insurance there is no option of grace period, which means that the car insurance will lapse immediately after the expiry of the policy period and requires pre inspection before the issuance of a new policy.
What is the free look period in Digit car insurance?
Digit car insurance policy has a free look period of 15 days within which the customer can surrender the policy if he/she is not satisfied with the service of the company or the policy is not in accordance with the quote submitted before policy issuance. There would be no penalty for cancellation within the free look period. The free look period is also called as cooling off period.