About ICICI Lombard Motor Insurance:
ICICI Lombard general insurance company is one of the leading general insurance companies in India offering coverage for Motor, Property, Health and other classes of general insurance. ICICI Lombard general insurance is the top 1 private sector general insurance companies in India with a market share of almost 8% in the year 2021. ICICI Lombard is a joint venture between ICICI Bank – India’s Largest Bank and Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited- a financial services company based out of Toronto. ICICI Bank is the majority shareholder in the entity until the merger with Bharti AXA general insurance company limited. ICICI Lombard general insurance company offers Motor insurance, Health insurance, Car insurance, Bike insurance, Home insurance, Two wheeler insurance, Engineering insurance, Overseas travel insurance, Weather insurance, Agriculture insurance etc.
ICICI Lombard being one of the leading general insurance companies in India has underwritten a Gross Written premium of Rs.135.92 B for the year ended March 31, 2020. The company issued over 26.2 million policies and settled over 1.86 million claims as on March 31, 2020. ICICI Lombard general insurance company has agents all over the India to offer its products to the customers. There are IRDA agents as well as Point of Sale (POS) agents who increase the reach of the brand even in the rural areas. An agent of ICICI Lombard represents the company and sells insurance policies on their behalf for a particular commission. The after sales service and the claim assistance would be provided by the agent for which he would be given a percentage of premium amounts in the form of commission.
The major advantage of having an ICICI Lombard insurance policy is that the vast network of ICICI Lombard offices in the country can help you at the time of claim settlement. There are unique products which are offered by the ICICI Lombard apart from the regular products. ICICI Lombard is the technology driven company which enables complete work from home for the customers who can avail all the services online thereby reducing the need to visit a physical office. All the insurance policies from ICICI Lombard would be paper free and instant which require minimum time for issuance and the same goes with claim settlement.
At ICICI Lombard there are 24*7 agents who are dedicated to provide quality customer care service to the customers. ICICI Lombard has commenced the non life insurance business in the year 2001 and in the year 2004 it has emerged as the largest private sector general insurance company in India and from there onwards there is no turning back for the growth of the company.
ICICI Lombard Motor Insurance Coverages:
ICICI Lombard car insurance policy is an agreement between the insurance company and the customer in which the insurance company settles the loss or damages incurred due to an accident in return for a nominal premium to be paid by the customer to the insurance company. ICICI Lombard four wheeler car insurance policies are designed to ensure that your car is protected from the damages caused as a result of perils mentioned in the policy document. Below are the perils covered under ICICI Lombard car insurance policy:-
1) Own Damage Section:
- Damage due to Fire, Explosion, Self Ignition or Lightning.
- Burglary or House breaking or Theft.
- Damage due to Riot and Strike.
- Malicious damage
- Earthquake including Fire & Shock
- Damage due to Natural peril of Act of God such as Flood, Storm, Hurricane etc.
- Damage due to accidental external means
- Damage due to Terrorist activity.
- Damage caused to the car while in Transit by Rail, Road, and Inland waterway, Lift, Elevator or Air.
- Damage due to Landslide / Rockslide.
2) Third Party Section:
- Legal liability arising out of bodily injury / death of third parties involved in an accident with the insured car. Legal liability of the insured at the time of third party injury would be covered by the ICICI Lombard general insurance company under the third party section after if the policy is valid.
- Property damage of third parties caused due to an accident involving the insured four wheeler car.
3) Personal Accident Cover:
Personal accident cover compensates in the event of death or disability of the owner/driver due to an unfortunate incident while travelling on the insured four wheeler car. The compensation under the personal accident cover of ICICI Lombard car insurance policy would not exceed Rs.15 L. The compulsory personal accident cover covers the death or disability of the owner/driver of the vehicle due to any accident up to the limit of Rs.15 Lacs as mentioned in the policy. The personal accident cover is mandatory for every vehicle as per the ruling of the Supreme court and the coverage would remain same for every insurance company.
ICICI Lombard Motor Insurance Add-ons:
ICICI Lombard car insurance policy offers extra coverage to your car in the form of add-ons or riders on payment of extra premium at the time of policy purchase. The list of add-ons offered by the ICICI Lombard car insurance policy is mentioned below:
a) Zero Depreciation:
Depreciation is the reduction in the value of an item or part over a period of time due to the usage. The wear and tear results in the reduction of an item’s value which is known as depreciation. Under this add-on the insurance company will cover the depreciation amount on the assessed damaged parts pertaining only to the applicable damaged parts category as per the plan opted by the customer. Cover/Benefits under this plan would be as per the plan and the co-payment if any opted would be calculated at the time of claim settlement.
The benefits under this add-on would only be available if the vehicle is repaired at ICICI Lombard Authorized Repair shop. In case the vehicle is repaired at any other workshop the customer should bear an additional 20% co-payment of the assessed claim under this add-on. The benefits under this add-on are available and can be utilized up to a maximum specified number of times as mentioned in the policy document during the policy period. It is important to note that the benefits under this add-on are available only if the own damage claim has been accepted by the insurance company.
The Zero Depreciation claim settlement shall be applicable only for the first two (2) claims during the policy period and any subsequent claim(s) shall be subject to a deduction at the rates mentioned in the policy terms and conditions.
b) Engine Protect Plus:
ICICI Lombard undertakes to indemnify the Insured for expenses incurred in repair or replacement due to consequential damages to Engine parts, Differential parts and Gear box parts due to the below mentioned reasons:
Under this add-on due to the above damages the insurance company shall pay for:-
- Water ingression – Water entering into the engine and damaging the internal parts.
- Leakage of lubrication oil- The leakage of lubrication oil can result in heating of engine and result in breakdown of the engine permanently.
- Damage to gear box- Gear box could be damaged due to any of the above mentioned reasons such as water ingression, leakage of oil etc. which is covered under this add-on.
- Undercarriage damage- “Undercarriage Damage” shall mean the damage to the Engine and/or Gear Box and/or Transmission Internal Parts of Your Vehicle due to lubricant leakage caused by an external impact.
- Consequential Damage- Under this add-on, consequential damage means the damage which was more specifically caused to an insured vehicle not arising directly from an insured peril but a direct consequence of the insured peril.
The Company would not be liable for:
- ‘Engine Parts’ would mean all internal lubricated parts of the engine including pistons, pins and rigs, all pulleys camshaft, followers, cam bearings, connecting rods and bearings, crankshaft and main bearings, dipstick and tube, eccentric shaft, engine heads and engine blocks, engine mounts and cushions, engine torque strut, flywheel and flywheel ring gear, harmonic balancer, intake and exhaust manifolds, oil pan, oil pumps, push rods, valves, springs, guides, seats, and lifters, rocker arms, shafts, and bushings, timing covers, timing gears, chain, belt tensioners, retainers, vacuum pump, valve covers, and water pumps, fuel injection pump (for diesel engines only) and fuel heater (for diesel engines only).
- ‘Differential Parts’ would mean all internally lubricated parts contained within the differential housing including axle shafts, constant velocity joints, bearings, final drive housing, four wheel drive hubs and bearings, retainers, transaxle housing and universal joints, drive shafts, hub bearings and supports.
- ‘Gear Box Parts’ would mean all internally lubricated parts contained within the transmission case including cooler, cooler lines, filer tubes and dipsticks, internal linkage, mounts, oil pans, torque convertor, transfer case, transmission and transfer case, transmission park base assembly, vacuum modulator, gear shafts, and gear box.
- In case of an accident, payment under this add-on would be made only when there is evidence of under carriage damage to Engine Parts and/or Gear Box Parts and/or Differential Parts leading to oil leakage and resulting into damage to covered parts as mentioned above.
- a) Any claims where the subject matter of claims is covered under any other type of insurance policy with any other insurer or manufacturer’s warranty including recall campaign or under any other such packages at the same time.
- b) Cost of lubricants in case of loss due to leakage and flushing of consumables.
- c) Any claim which is intimated to the Company after 30 days of the happening of loss or damage.
- d) Any claim where the repair has been carried out without prior approval from the Company.
- e) Any claims related to loss or damage due to wear and tear
c) Consumable Items:
Under this add-on cover the insurance company will compensate the replacement/replenishing costs of the consumables with new ones, in the event of partial loss to the insured vehicle or its accessories arising out of any peril covered under the own damage section of the insurance policy.
“Consumables” shall mean any item or substance of Insured Vehicle which is not damaged in the Accident and has limited life or has been consumed completely/partially during their usage and deemed to be unfit for reuse and needs replacement to complete the vehicle repair. Such as bolt, screw, nut, engine oil, gear box oil, power steering oil, coolant, AC gas oil, brake oil, AC refrigerant, battery electrolyte, windshield washer fluid, radiator coolant, oil filter, fuel filter, bearings, washers, clip, rivets and items of similar nature excluding fuel.
d) Roadside Assistance:
Towing on breakdown/accident: In the event of the Insured’s vehicle being immobilized or rendered unfit for the purpose of driving on the road, the Company would provide appropriate towing services to the nearest garage (within a radius of 50 kms from the location of the breakdown/accident), provided always that any charges for a distance beyond the one mentioned herein shall be borne by the Insured.
Breakdown support over phone: In the event of minor mechanical errors/ faults/non-functioning of the Insured’s vehicle or any part thereof, the Company would provide the Insured with telephonic assistance to come up with solutions for such minor mechanical errors/faults/non-functioning of the Insured’s vehicle.
Arrangement/ Supply of fuel: In the event of the Insured’s vehicle being immobilized due to emptying of fuel tank, the Company would arrange for supply of up to five litres of fuel, at the location of the breakdown. Provided always that all labour costs and conveyance costs would be borne by the Company and all expenses on fuel would be borne by the Insured.
Emptying of fuel tank: In the event of the fuel tank of the Insured’s vehicle being filled with a wrong type of fuel, the Company would arrange for emptying of fuel tank with the help of appropriate technicians and if required, arrange for towing the Insured’s vehicle to nearest garage for the purpose of emptying the fuel tank, provided always that all charges towards the towing of the vehicle would be borne by the Insured.
Arrangement of keys: In the event of the Insured losing the keys of the Insured’s vehicle, the Company would arrange for pickup and delivery of the spare keys of the Insured’s vehicle to the place where the Insured’s vehicle is located. Alternatively, the Company would provide the service of unlocking the Insured’s vehicle with the help of vehicle technicians at the location of the Insured’s vehicle. Provided always that all labour and conveyance costs would be borne by the Company and the Insured would be required to submit an identity proof to prove his ownership of the Insured’s vehicle, before availing such service. Provided always that this service would be provided only within a range of 100 kms from the location where the loss has occurred.
Battery jump start: In the event of the Insured’s vehicle being immobilized due to a rundown battery, the Company would arrange for a vehicle technician to jump start the Insured’s vehicle with appropriate means. Provided always that any cost of charging/replacement of battery would be borne by the Insured and all labour and conveyance costs, towards battery jump start assistance, would be borne by the Company.
Message Relay: In the event of the Insured’s vehicle getting immobilized as a result of an accident and/or breakdown, the Company would arrange to send urgent message to the specified persons, as requested by the Insured, through available means of communication.
Flat Tyre: In the event of the Insured’s vehicle being immobilized due to a flat tyre, the Company would assist the Insured by organizing for a vehicle technician to replace the flat tyre with the spare Stepney tyre of the vehicle at the location of breakdown or in the event of repairs not being possible at the place of breakdown or by arranging to take the flat tyre to the nearest place of repair and delivering the tyre back to the place of breakdown & attaching it to the Insured’s vehicle. Provided always that any expenses on material/spare parts and any other incidental costs, if required while carrying out the repairs, would be borne by the Insured and the expenses on labour cost and conveyance cost, in relation to points mentioned above, would be borne by the Company.
Minor Repairs: In the event of the Insured’s vehicle being immobilized due to a minor mechanical/electrical fault, the Company would assist the Insured by sending a vehicle technician to the location of breakdown to carry out the Minor Repairs. Provided always that the expenses on labour cost and conveyance cost would be borne by the Company and Minor Repairs, for the purpose of this add-on, would be defined as repairs which can be carried out at the location of breakdown/accident, requiring no spares and less than 45 minutes of labour time.
Arrangement of rental vehicle: In the event of the Insured’s vehicle being immobilized due to a breakdown/accident, the Company would facilitate arrangement for alternative mode of conveyance, from the place of breakdown /accident, to the destination, as desired by the Insured at the time of breakdown/ accident. The Company would intimate the Insured of all charges payable to the rental vehicle and all such charges would be borne by the Insured.
Arrangement of Accommodation: In the event of the Insured’s vehicle being immobilized due to a breakdown/accident, the Company would facilitate arrangement for hotel accommodation in a place near the place of breakdown /accident. The Company would intimate the Insured of all charges payable for such accommodation and all such charges would be borne by the Insured.
Referring a Legal Advisor: In the event of an accident involving the Insured’s vehicle as a result of which the Insured requires the services of a legal advisor, the Company would arrange for the Insured the telephonic contact details of an appropriate legal advisor belonging to an area as requested by the Insured. Provided always that the breakdown/accident has taken place at least 50 kms away from the Insured’s place of residence, as per the address declared by the Insured at the time of Policy issuance and the Company would intimate the Insured of all charges payable for the services of such legal advisor and all such charges would be borne by the Insured.
Referring a Hospital: In the event of an accident involving the Insured’s vehicle as a result of which the Insured and/or any of the travelling passengers requires medical care, the Company would arrange for the Insured the telephonic contact details of an appropriate hospital near the location of accident. Provided always that the breakdown/accident has taken place at least 50 kms away from the Insured’s place of residence, as per the address declared by the Insured at the time of Policy issuance.
Taxi Benefits: In the event of the Insured’s vehicle being immobilized due to an accident/ breakdown, the Company shall provide free travel of the occupants of the Insured vehicles up to a distance of 50 kilometres. Provided always that the event has occurred 50kms away from the Insured’s place of residence as declared by the Insured at the time of policy issuance and any charges for a distance beyond the covered distance as stated above shall be borne by the Insured. In the unlikely event of the Company being unable to arrange for this service, the Company may request the Insured to arrange for the taxi on his own and submit the bill for the pre - authorized amount for reimbursement to the Company.
Accommodation Benefits: In the event of the Insured’s vehicle being immobilized due to an accident/ breakdown, the Company shall provide occupants of the Insured vehicle with a hotel accommodation for one day, for a maximum of ` 5000. Provided always that the breakdown/accident has taken place at least 100 kms away from the Insured’s place of residence, as declared by the Insured at the time of Policy issuance. Or the required time of repair of the Insured vehicle exceeds 12 hours from the time of the accident / breakdown or the number of individuals seated in the Insured vehicle is not more than the maximum seating capacity of the Insured vehicle. In the unlikely event of Company being unable to arrange for this service, the Company may request the Insured to arrange for accommodation on his own and submit the bill for the pre - authorized amount for reimbursement to the Company.
The Company would not be liable for:
- Providing the abovementioned services under conditions of earthquake, war, invasion, rebellion, revolt, riot, civil commotion, civil war, exceptional adverse weather conditions, act of terrorism, nuclear fission, strike, and act of government /government agencies/judicial/quasi P judicial authorities.
- Any claims where the Insured’s vehicle is being used for the purpose of racing, rallying, motor-sports, or is not being used/driven in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Any claim where the Insured’s vehicle can be safely transferred on its own power to the nearest garage/workshop.
- Any claims triggered by theft; any kind of consequential losses.
- Any loss which is covered under any other insurance policy or manufacturer’s warranty or recall campaign or under any other such packages at the same time.
- Any expenses for supply or replacement of parts/consumables.
- Any loss/damage caused to the Insured’s vehicle when it is being used/driven against the recommendations of the owner’s/manufacturer’s manual.
- Any claims where services have been availed of without the prior consent of the Company.
e) Key Protect:
ICICI Lombard undertakes to pay up to an amount as stated in the Schedule, to indemnify the Insured for the cost incurred towards repairing/replacing the car keys and / or locks and/ or lockset, including the locksmith charges, upon the occurrence of theft/burglary/ loss of or damage to the keys and /or lock and /or the lockset of the Insured’s vehicle, during the Policy Period. Provided always that:
The Company would not be liable for:
- Not more than two claims would be payable under this add-on for a Policy Period.
- A claim deductible of 1% of the admissible claim amount would apply for each claim, subject to a minimum of Rs.250.
- A claim resulting from burglary or theft is supported by a First Information Report (FIR) with the Police.
- The replaced keys/ lock/ lockset should be of same nature and kind as the one for which the claim is being made.
- Any loss or damage to the keys/ lock/ lockset is reported to the Company within 30 days of such loss or damage
- Replacement of key(s) only would be done only for broken or damaged keys. In case of theft of key(s), entire set comprising of key, lock and lockset would be replaced.
- Any claim within the first 5 days of the happening of loss. However, in cases related to theft/burglary, this exclusion would not be applicable.
- Any damage/ loss to keys/lock/lockset due to malicious activities, any deliberate or criminal act.
- Any loss or damage to the lock or lockset prior to the loss or theft of keys.
- Any loss or damage to the lock only e. Any loss or damage covered under the manufacturer’s warranty.
- Any claim where the Insured is not able to provide the invoices/receipts for the payments made.
- Any loss or damage caused by radiation, radioactive contamination or the hazardous properties of any explosive, corrosive, invasive or toxic substance or material.
- Any loss or destruction of, or damage to, any part of the Insured’s vehicle other than the keys of the Insured’s vehicle, its associated lock, ignition system, any immobilizer, infra-red handset and/or alarm attached to the fob.
- Loss or damage caused by war, invasion, foreign enemy hostilities (whether war is declared or not), civil war, terrorism, rebellion, revolution, military force or coup, or the actions of any lawful government or public or local authority.
- Any kind of consequential losses
f) Tyre Protect:
Under this add-on the ICICI Lombard insurance company will reimburse the:-
- Cost of replacing the damaged tyre(s) with a new equivalent or near equivalent tyre(s) of make model and specification similar to the one being used in the Insured vehicle at the time of availing Car insurance/at the time of accident/damage to the tyre
- Labour charges toward removing & refitting of the tyre
- Charges towards wheel balancing, as may be necessitated, arising out of accidental loss or damage to Tyre & Tubes of the insured Vehicle making the tyre unfit for use due to a bulge in the tyre, bursting of tyre and cut or damage to the tyre.
g) Return to Invoice:
In the event of the insured vehicle being a Total loss/ Constructive total loss/ Total Theft, then the ICICI Lombard insurance company may compensate the insured in any of the below ways:-
- The Company hereby undertakes to pay the Sum Insured under this add-on, determined as the difference between the Insured’s Declared Value (IDV) of the insured vehicle and the total actual expenses incurred towards acquisition of a new vehicle of similar make and model to the insured, as specified in the on-road price listed by the manufacturer/Dealer upon the occurrence of Total Loss / Constructive Total Loss as defined in the Policy provided always that On-road price means the actual expense incurred towards acquisition of a new vehicle and includes the value of factory fitted accessories or car dealer accessories at the time of purchase.
- On road price will also include any amount paid towards registration of the insured Vehicle, road tax and cost of insuring the vehicle. In case of obsolete models, the last selling price of the vehicle will be considered to pay the Sum Insured under this add-on Subject otherwise to the terms, exceptions, conditions and limitations of this Policy
h) Loss of Personal Belongings:
The Company hereby undertakes to indemnify the Insured, up to an amount as stated in the Schedule, for the loss of his personal belongings, including mobile phones and /or laptops, on account of damage to or theft from the Insured’s Vehicle. Provided always that:
- A deductible of Rs.500 would be applicable for each claim under this add-on, except when the claim is being made only for mobile phones and/or laptops.
- A First Investigation Report (FIR) is registered with the Police for such loss.
- The Company would not be liable for any loss in open top or convertible cars unless the belongings are kept in the locked boot or any loss of money, securities, cheques, bank drafts, credit or debit cards, jewellery, gems, stones, contact lens, glasses, travel tickets, watches, valuables, manuscripts, paintings, work of art or any loss of the personal belongings unless the Insured’s vehicle is locked and all doors & windows are properly fastened while unattended.
- Any loss of or damage to belongings carried in connection with any trade or business.
- Any theft from vehicles parked in no-parking zone and from un-attended vehicle after accident.
- Any claim for a laptop/mobile phone not declared at the time of Policy issuance.
- Any claim intimated to the Company after 30 days of such loss.
- Any amount more than the market value of the mobile phones or laptops as stated at the time of Policy issuance, deducted appropriately for depreciation as per the Section 32 of Income Tax Act.
i) PA Cover for unnamed passengers:
The personal accident cover for unnamed passengers covers the death or disability of passengers travelling on the car at the time of accident. The maximum sum assured for personal accident cover is limited to Rs.2 Lacs per passenger travelling on the car. The PA cover for unnamed passengers would be charged based on the number of passengers mentioned in the RC copy of the car. For instance if the seating capacity is mentioned as 7 which includes the driver, then the PA cover for unnamed passengers can be taken for the remaining 6 passengers excluding the driver.
j) NCB Protect:
The No claim bonus protect add-on will help the insured protect his/her NCB even after making a claim during the previous year. Insured shall not be entitled to any No Claim Bonus, if more than three claims are lodged by the Insured during the same Policy Period under Section I - “Loss or Damage to the Vehicles Insured” of the Policy. There are 2 plans under which the NCB protect add-on are offered, these plans are explained below:
Plan A: One (1) Step down NCB at the time of renewal
|Existing NCB in the policy
||NCB benefit at the time of renewal w.r.t the claims made in the current year
For instance in the above scenario if the insured customer is having 25% NCB in the current year policy and makes no claim in the current year, then he/she will be eligible to 35% NCB at the time of renewal. If the insured customer makes 1 claim, he/she would get one step down NCB at the time of renewal i.e. 20% instead of 25% which would come if there was no claim and 0% if there is no NCB protect add-on.
If one claim is made then the NCB at the time of renewal will be reduced by one step from the existing NCB in one step down NCB protect add-on in ICICI Lombard insurance.
Plan B: Two (2) Steps down NCB at the time of renewal
|Existing NCB in the policy
||NCB benefit at the time of renewal w.r.t the claims made in the current year
k) Additional fitments:
The cost incurred to repair the additional fitments will also be paid by the insurance company if extra premium is paid and the coverage is opted. Additional fitments are covered under the Insured declared value of the own damage section. Extra fittings such as Stereo, Car fittings etc., which do not come with the showroom fitting, are covered under this add-on.
Exclusions in ICICI Lombard Motor insurance:
There are certain exclusions under ICICI Lombard car insurance which are not covered by the company. Let us understand the exclusions under ICICI Lombard car insurance policy:-
- Any accidental loss or damage and or liability caused or incurred outside the Geographical area;
- Any claim arising out of contractual liability;
- Any accidental loss or damage caused when the car is used
- Loss or damage caused to the car when driven by a person without a valid driving licence or by a person other than the driver as stated in the Driver’s clause.
- Any accidental loss or damage to any property whatsoever or any loss or expense whatsoever resulting or arising there from or any consequential loss.
- Any liability of whatsoever nature directly or indirectly caused by or contributed to by or arising from ionising radiations or contamination by radioactivity from any nuclear fuel or from any nuclear waste from the combustion of nuclear fuel. For the purpose of this exception combustion shall include any self-sustaining process of nuclear fission.
- Any accidental loss or damage or liability directly or indirectly caused by or contributed to by or arising from nuclear weapons material.
- Any accidental loss damage and/or liability directly or indirectly or proximately or remotely occasioned by contributed to by or traceable to or arising out of or in connection with war, invasion, the act of foreign enemies, hostilities or warlike operations (whether before or after declaration of war) civil war, mutiny rebellion, military or usurped power or by any direct or indirect consequence of any of the said occurrences and in the event of any claim hereunder the insured shall prove that the accidental loss damage and/or liability arose independently of and was in no way connected with or occasioned by or contributed to by or traceable to any of the said occurrences or any consequences thereof and in default of such proof, the Company shall not be liable to make any payment in respect of such a claim.