There are many reasons why you might need personal accident cover in your car insurance. You might want to protect yourself and your family or you might be worried about being sued if someone else was driving when an accident happened.
For example, if you were a passenger in a car and the driver had personal accident cover, they would be covered for up to Rs. 1 lakh worth of damages from their injuries.
Personal accident cover can also be useful if your car is stolen or vandalized. If you have personal injury cover in place, then the insurer will pay for any costs that arise from any personal injury that is not related to the theft or vandalism.
Why Personal Accident Cover for Unnamed Passenger is Important in Your Car Insurance Policy?
Personal accident cover is one of the most important parts of car insurance. It's a must-have in every policy and can lower your rates.
The reason why personal accident cover is important is that it pays for the medical costs of an individual if they are injured in a car accident. There are many benefits to having this coverage, but it's not always easy to find out what you need and how much you should pay for it.
There are two types of personal accident cover: basic and comprehensive. Basic covers medical expenses only, while comprehensive covers all medical expenses including lost wages and funeral costs.
Real Life Scenario:
In this case, you buy an add-on called ‘Personal Accident cover for unnamed passengers’. This extends to your family, friends, or even colleagues who travel with you in your car. You can get these add-ons when you buy a Comprehensive Car insurance policy at a small extra payment.
You can opt for a sum insured in multiples of Rs. 10,000, like Rs. 20,000, Rs. 30,000 till Rs. 2, 00,000. The cost of the add-on will start from Rs. 5 to Rs. 100 per passenger.
When you are traveling with your cousin to another state where you met with an accident, and the car was damaged fully. You and your cousin are injured, luckily you have PA for unnamed passenger cover in your car insurance policy.
The amount for medical bills and treatment costs of your cousin is compensated by the insurance company itself.
Benefits of having PA Cover for Unnamed Passenger:
The responsible owner of the car has some obligations towards the passengers in the car. Adding the passenger cover to the basic insurance adds a lot of wide coverage to your policy. Let's take a look at a few benefits of buying a passenger cover:
- Covers all the medical costs incurred in the treatment of the injuries in case of an accident.
- Gives financial assistance to the family in case of the death of the passenger.
- The claim helps in reducing any kind of financial liabilities that the person may face due to the accident.
- Anyone who is riding in the car along with the driver is covered in this add-on
- Optional cover for comprehensive car insurance policy or third party car insurance
- As per sum assured is up to Rs. 2 lakh.
What is covered?
We will pay compensation on the scale provided below for bodily injury as defined by the employee of the insured/ driver/ unnamed passenger in direct connection with the insured vehicle whilst mounting and dismounting from or driving or traveling in the insured vehicle or road rage and caused by violent, accidental external and visible means which independently of any other cause shall within three calendar months of the occurrence of such injury result in:-
|Details of Injury
||Scale of Compensation
|Loss of two limbs or sight of two eyes
|Loss of one limb or sight of one eye
|Permanent total disablement from injuries other than named above
What is not covered?
- The financial assistance in passenger cover is not necessarily provided by all the insurers Also, in the case of the private car, the add on does not cover more than 3 passengers in the car
- Any physical injury to attempted suicide is not covered in this policy
- An accident taking place when the person is under the influence of alcohol or any drug will not be liable to get the benefit of this policy.
How does it Work?
Personal accident cover for the unnamed passenger in car insurance is a type of insurance that covers you if you are involved in an accident, whether the person you are driving is named or not.
The cost of personal accident cover for the unnamed passenger in car insurance is dependent on the type of policy and the deductible. It can be anywhere from Rs. 1,000 to Rs. 5,000 depending on your needs and your age.
The standard policy offers protection to the owner of the insured vehicle in case of an accident. So, if you are the owner you will get the cover in case of any injury and the nominee will get the insured sum in case of any death. The regular car policy is unable to cover the passengers in the vehicle. For the treatment of the passengers, they all will have to pay out of their own pockets.
The owner has the responsibility for the passengers who are driving in their vehicle. Thus, having the benefit of covering the liabilities of these individuals will be a big benefit. Thus, passenger cover surely adds some value to the standard of the current car insurance policy you have.
What is PA Cover for Unnamed Passengers?
The purpose of this add-on/rider is to provide personal accident coverage for passengers traveling in your vehicle, other than you and your driver. Unmanned passengers under this rider mean your family members or friends traveling with you at the time of an accident.
The compensation for your fellow passengers is decided depending on the car insurance policy type and the sum assured you have opted for. This rider can be added to both a comprehensive car insurance plan and a third party car insurance policy.
Besides the personal accident cover for unnamed passengers, there are many other riders offered along with a car insurance plan, which provides comprehensive coverage and support to the policyholder. If you wish to add coverages based on your requirements you can do so through your car insurance company depending upon their offerings.
Personal accident cover is a component of a motor insurance policy. It offers lump-sum payouts up to Rs. 15 lakh in case the passengers in the commercial vehicle sustain injuries in an accident. Personal accident insurance covers:
- Permanent total disablement.
- Permanent partial disablement.
- Accidental Death.
Is an Unnamed Passenger Cover a part of a Comprehensive Car Insurance Policy?
Comprehensive car insurance covers both third parties as well as damages to your vehicle. It gives the highest protection, which means it gives the highest compensation from the insurance company.
Comprehensive car insurance provides personal accident cover only for the driver/ owner of the vehicle. But while driving, there might be many other unnamed passengers. To cover these unnamed passengers, you can take an added cover which is called the unnamed passenger cover.
This way all the unnamed passengers driving with you, family members, or friends, at the time of the accident, will also be covered. However, the compensation to these fellow passengers varies depending upon the policy type and the sum assured.
How to Claim PA for Unnamed Passenger Cover?
- After the accident, immediately inform the customer care of the insurance company through the website or the customer care number
- Provide the policy documents
- Provide the duly filled in claim form
- Submit other required documents as per the case – death, partial disability, total disability, etc.
- In the next step, the insurance company conducts scrutiny to understand the authenticity of the claim
- If approved, the company will transfer the payment to your account
- If rejected, the company might seek other documents, and if it is still not satisfied, it might reject the claim.
- Duly Completed and signed Claim Form
- Attested copy of Death Certificate in case of death.
- Medical report from attending specialist doctor including Death Summary in case of hospitalization.
- Attested a copy of the disability certificate from the specialist treating doctor stating the percentage of disability.
- Attested a copy of FIR / Panchanama / Inquest Panchanama.
- Complete medical records/reports including investigation /Lab reports (X-Ray, MRI, etc.) in case of a disability claim.
- Attested copy of Post Mortem Report (only if conducted).
- Any other document(s) as requested by Claims Department which is/are relevant to the coverage under the policy.
- If claim amount> 1 Lakh, KYC Documents such as Pan Card Copy, Address Proof, one Passport color photo of the claimant.
How to Buy/Renew a PA for Unnamed Passenger Cover in Car Insurance?
Car insurance can be purchased online from the PolicyBachat portal in two easy steps. At PolicyBachat we cater unbiased comparison of quotes, a 24*7 customer assistance team your motive is to give our customers the right quotes with compare car insurance rates online.
You have the option to purchase this cover via the online mode or the offline mode while buying or renewing your car insurance policy. You can buy a Cover by following the below mentioned steps.
- Go to compare car insurance quotes online at PolicyBachat.com
- Fill in the required details and select your Car Model & Variant, RTO Location, Registration date, and Email address.
- Click on the “START SAVING MONEY”.
- Choose a Comprehensive Insurance plan.
- Premiums with different insurance companies are displayed with low premiums.
- Select the PA Cover for unnamed passengers from the available Add-ons
- After that fill in the ‘vehicle owner details and personal details.
- Purchase the best Car Insurance Policy using online payment
- If any queries are raised call: 1800–123–4003.
As the owner of the car, it is your responsibility to ensure the complete safety of the passengers traveling along with. You are liable to pay for the injuries that may be caused to the passenger in case of an unfortunate accident. You can ensure the lives of the passengers by availing of PA cover for unnamed passengers. It is important to note that there should not be more than a legally authorized number at the time of the accident.