Everything you need to know about Car Pre Inspection Service in India
Third party Car insurance is compulsory in India as per the Motor Vehicles Act for every car plying on the public places. The own damage section in the car insurance policy is optional and the customer is free to decide on its purchase. Any damages to the insured’s own vehicle are covered under the own damage section of the car insurance policy. Hence the need to cover the car under the own damage section arises.
What is Car Pre inspection
In terms of Car insurance, pre inspection is the inspection of the car before the acceptance of the risk by the insurance company to check the physical condition of the car and any damages prior to the inception of the risk. The pre inspection is done before the policy issuance to understand the risk that has to be taken by the insurance company against the premium paid by the customer.
Need for Car Insurance Inspection
The need for pre inspection for car insurance arises if there is ownership transfer; switch from TP to comprehensive, increased coverage and at the time of claim. Let us understand each case where the pre inspection is required or mandated by the insurance company:-
- Policy expiry: The pre inspection is required in the cases where the policy has expired and the car is running without a valid insurance policy. This case is known as insurance break-in and the car insurance is renewed only after the satisfactory inspection report. The car is inspected for any damages and based on the inspection report, the insurance companies decide on the acceptance of the risk.
- Ownership transfer: In case of sale of car the insured name needs to be changed in the car insurance policy copy and for this a pre inspection will be done by the insurance company to ascertain the No claim bonus and other things which cannot be transferred to the new owner.
- TP to Comprehensive: There might be instances where the customer has taken only third party insurance in the previous year and wishes to purchase comprehensive car insurance at the time of renewal. In such cases the pre inspection is done by the insurance companies to understand the reason behind the switch from third party to comprehensive cover.
- Add-ons: For instance a customer might have not opted for the Bumper to bumper insurance cover last year but this year he might want to include it in his car insurance. This mandates for a pre inspection check by the insurance company to understand the reason behind this switch by the customer.
- Claim: A pre inspection of car is mandatory at the time of claim. The car is inspected for any loss or damages and also to ascertain the amount of loss to be paid by the insurance company. Without inspection the insurance company will not settle the claim at any cost.
- Addition of Bi fuel kit: If a bi fuel kit is added to the car in the mid year of insurance, which was not present at the time of taking insurance, then it is mandatory for the insurance company to pre inspect the car and decide upon the acceptance of the risk due to midterm addition by the customer.
Validity of car inspection
The validity of inspection is at the most 48 hours from the time of inspection and the premium needs to be paid within this period for the inspection to be valid. If the premium is not received by the insurance company within the stipulated time period the pre inspection report stands invalid and the insurance company demands for a new pre inspection to be done on the vehicle. The expired car insurance can be renewed only after the pre inspection by the insurance company to understand the risks associated with the car.9. Since the car insurance expired in the mid night, it is advisable to renew your car insurance at least 2 days prior to the expiry date to prevent last minute issues in renewing the insurance.
Car insurance without inspection
No insurance company will provide car insurance without a valid pre inspection report. It is a common practice by the insurance companies to ask for the inspection report before the acceptance of the risk. Some insurance companies employ third parties to conduct the inspection while some insurance companies have in house inspection arrangement where the inspection is done with the help of online links and apps.
For car inspection in India please visit www.policybachat.com where the inspection is done by the top car insurance companies and the best car insurance renewal quotes are provided at affordable premiums.