The RTOs in Kerala are located in major cities and towns across the state. They provide a range of services including registering new vehicles, renewing existing registrations, issuing driving licenses, collecting road taxes, and enforcing traffic laws. An important government body helps to maintain road safety in the state by ensuring that vehicles are registered properly. The RTO also works to protect the interests of citizens by providing a secure platform for vehicle registration and other services.
Services offered by RTO Kerala:
The Kerala Regional Transport Office (RTO) has three primary duties: registering vehicles, issuing driving licenses, and collecting taxes & fees associated with owning & using them. They are responsible for ensuring that the public is compliant with the necessary regulations.
- Adherence to the Motor Vehicles Act, of 1988, the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, of 1989, and related state motor vehicle guidelines is essential for the effective implementation of stated rules ®ulations.
- The Motor Vehicles Act, of 1988 enables the government to impose and collect taxes in accordance with its provisions.
- To facilitate the growth of road transportation, permits need to be appropriately managed. This will enable the successful development and expansion of this sector.
|State Transport Code
||Transport Commissionarate Trans Towers Vazhuthacaud Thycaud P.O. Thiruvananthapuram - 695 014
|kerala RTO Website
Functions of Regional Transport Office RTO Kerala:
As per the vehicles act, Kerala's RTO and other Regional Transport Offices (RTOs) across India are obligated to carry out various activities to be compliant with the functional requirements stipulated therein. These core activities include-
- Vehicle Registration and Ownership details
This includes issuing and renewing registration certificates for motor vehicles, transfer of ownership of the vehicle, change in registration details, hypothecation removal, and issuing fitness certificates to the vehicle.
- Trade Certificate,
- Temporary Registration,
- Permanent Registration,
- Ownership Transfer,
- Address Change,
- HP Endorsement,
- HP Termination,
- Fresh RC,
- No Objection Certificate,
- Diplomatic Vehicles,
- Number Reservation,
- Registration Codes,
- State, District,
- Vehicles Categorization,
- Registration Display.
- Motor Vehicle Tax Collection
This includes collection of Motor Vehicle Tax, or Road Tax, as per the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, conducting any motor department’s action cases, and collection of vehicle inspection fee
- Issuance of Driving License
This includes issuing a learner’s permit and subsequently a driving license, conducting driving tests, renewal or duplication of driving license (in case of loss or theft), issuing licenses for driving instructors, conductors for commercial vehicles, and for professional motor vehicles driving schools.
- Issuance of the learner,
- Permanent, renewal,
- Additions of class license
- International driving permit.
- Vehicle Mechanical Inspection
Before granting approval for a motor vehicle, various inspections and documents must be taken into consideration. These documents include a fitness certificate, accident-damaged vehicle clearance certification, insurance verification & Pollution Under Control (PUC) Certificate validity confirmation.
- Issuance of Permits
The Ministry of Road Transport & Highways provides a range of tourist and transportation permits, including International Driving Permit, inter-state & national permits for commercial vehicles, passenger-carrying vehicles & school buses, and All India Tourist Vehicle Authorization & Permits.
- Issuance of permits,
- Renewal of permits, and
- Issuance of duplicate permits to Auto rickshaws, Motor Cab, Luxury Cabs, Maxi Cab, Bus, Radio Cabs, City Cabs, Prepaid Taxi, Temporary Permit, Private Service Vehicles, Education Institution Buses, Stage Carriage, Goods Carriage Permit.
- Collection of taxes and fines.
They also issue licenses and permits to drivers, regulate the traffic on roads, and make sure that all vehicles are compliant with the laws. The RTO collects taxes for various road-related activities such as registration of new vehicles, renewal of registration, transfer of ownership, issuance of driving licenses, etc.
- Collection of Quarterly Tax,
- Life Time Tax,
- Green Tax,
- Countersignature Tax,
- Short Term Tax,
- Composite Tax,
- Border Tax, and
- Tax Exemptions.
More Functions that are offered by RTO Kerala:
Renewal of Vehicle Registration Certificate:
After a vehicle completes 15 years of age after it was registered for the first time, the registration must be renewed after getting the vehicle inspected at the RTO. The RTO will check if the vehicle is fit to be used and will issue a new registration certificate. The following documents are needed for the purpose.
- Application Form No.25
- Registration certificate (RC) of the vehicle
- Pollution Under Control (PUC) Certificate
- Insurance certificate of the vehicle
- Receipt of road tax
- Vehicle owner's address proof
- Vehicle needs to be presented for physical inspection
Change of Address in Vehicle RC:
For recording changes in the address of the owner of the vehicle, an application should be made in Form 33 along with the following documents:
- Application Form No.33
- No Objection Certificate from the financer (if the vehicle has been purchased on loan)
- Chassis print
- Vehicle RC
- PUC Certificate
- Insurance document
- Address proof
- Application fee: Rs.20
Process to Get Duplicate Vehicle Registration Certificate:
In a situation when the vehicle owner has lost their original registration certificate, they can make an application in Form 26 for the issue of duplicate registration certificate. The documents mentioned below are to be submitted along with the application.
- Application in Form 26
- Fees payment receipt
- Insurance paper
- FIR copy by the police
- Affidavit by the owner of the vehicle stating that RC of the vehicle is missing
Transfer of Vehicle Ownership:
If the possession of the vehicle needs to be transferred to another person by way of sale or inheritance, the changes should also be recorded in the registration certificate. The process requires the following documents:
- Application in Form No.29 and Form No.30
- Vehicle RC
- No Objection Certificate (if the vehicle is registered in another state)
- Insurance paper of the vehicle
- Applicable fees as per rule 81
- Passport sized photos of vehicle seller and purchaser
- Tax clearance certificate
For transfer of vehicle to the legal successor due to death of the vehicle owner, the following documents will be necessary:
- Form 31
- Vehicle owner's death certificate
- Vehicle RC
- Passport-sized photos
- Proof of succession
- Insurance certificate.
Regional Transport Office RTO Kerala Code List:
The Regional Transport Offices (RTOs) in Kerala have different codes allotted to them for different areas. This is done to ensure easy identification of RTOs based on the vehicle number plate. Here are the various RTO codes for Kerala in India:
Types of Vehicle Registration in RTO Kerala:
According to the Motor Vehicles Act, of 1988, it is compulsory for every vehicle to be registered in India. Completing the registration process will help the transport department keep track of all the vehicles. In order to register your vehicle in Kerala, you will need to visit the nearest Regional Transport Office (RTO) office. Registering your vehicle on time will also ensure that no penalties are levied. The systematic procedure to register the vehicle at an RTO in Kerala is mentioned below:
- Visit the nearest RTO office.
- You will need to submit Form 20, Form 21, Form 22, and Form 22A. You can download the relevant application forms online as well. The relevant documents must be submitted as well.
- The vehicle inspection procedure will be completed next. In case the inspection procedure has been done, the relevant document must be provided as well.
- Once the verification process has been completed, the registration number will be provided by the RTO. The details will be sent to the registered email ID and mobile number as well.
- Form A
- Form 60
- Temporary RC, if available
- Proof of address
- Passport-size photographs
- Pollution Under Control (PUC) Certificate
- Insurance documents
- Form 22, & Form 21
- Form 20
- Application fee
- Physical inspection
- Customs clearance certificate (imported vehicle)
- Aadhaar card.
The two different types of vehicle registration are mentioned below:
- Temporary Registration: You can register your vehicle on a temporary basis for a maximum period of one month. However, temporary registration can be done only if you move to another state. Post the one-month duration, the permanent registration process must be completed.
- Address Proof such as Aadhar, Electricity bill, Ration card, etc.
- PUC Certificate
- Copies of the valid insurance certificate
- Design Approval in case of Trailer
- Customs Clearance in case of Imported Vehicle
- Form 21 for Sales Certificate
- Form 22 for Fitness
- Insurance Documents
- Tax Receipts.
- Permanent Registration: In case you buy a new vehicle or the vehicle is transferred, the permanent registration process must be completed by visiting the nearest RTO.
- Form 20- Application form for availing permanent registration number
- Form 21-Sales Certificate contains relevant details of the sale of the vehicle
- Form 22-Vehicle Road Worthiness Certificate, which states that the vehicle is proper to be operational on the road
- If the vehicle body is fabricated, the owner also needs to submit form 22A
- Address proof of the owner of the vehicle
- In the case of semi-trailer or trailer vehicles, a copy of the design approved has to be submitted by the vehicle owner, along with a Sales Certificate needs to be submitted to the respective RTO Kerala.
RTO Kerala Traffic Challans and Fees:
|Causing obstruction to the free flow of traffic
|| Rs. 200
|Driving without Helmet
|Driving/Riding while on the Mobile (handheld)
|Speeding Medium to heavy vehicle
|Racing and Speeding
|Driving/Riding without a license
||Up to 6 months or 2 years of imprisonment and/or fine up to Rs.10,000, and Rs. 15,000
Up to 2 years of imprisonment and/or fine up to Rs.15,000
|Driving without insurance
Up to 3 months of imprisonment and/or fine up to Rs. 2,000 or Rs. 4000
Get Car Insurance in Kerala:
You can get Motor Vehicle Insurance in Kerala online or offline. In accordance with the law, it is mandatory for private citizens to have third-party insurance so they are covered against damage caused by third parties. Ideally, it is always a good idea to insure your vehicle with comprehensive insurance as it provides coverage against damages caused to the vehicle, driver as well as third party.
It will take less than 5 minutes to buy a car Insurance policy in Kerala. You can buy a car insurance policy online by visiting our website. We provide several car insurance policy premium quotes offered by different insurers from which you can choose one that suits your needs and budget. As a car owner, you can easily buy car insurance online:-
- Go to the form at the top of the page
- Fill up the details of your car such as RTO, model, engine capacity, fuel type, etc.
- Provide your contact details including your name, email id, etc.
- Choose the best car insurance in Kerala as per your requirements
- Pay the insurance price online via net banking or bank debit/credit cards
- Your motor insurer will issue your car insurance online in Kerala.
The Regional Transport Office Kerala (RTO-Kerala) has been established as a unique institution to handle traffic-related issues in the state. It is responsible for issuing vehicle registration certificates and other types of permits. The RTO-Kerala also handles the collection of taxes on vehicles and issues traffic challans and fees for violations within the state. Ensure you are well acquainted with the traffic laws and drive cautiously to avoid an e-challan in Kerala. Apart from this, it is also crucial to have a car insurance policy for your car to secure against any mishaps. So, you can head over to PolicyBachat to avail suitable car insurance and opt for sufficient coverage with just a few steps!