Thieves are getting smarter nowadays they often use smart keys to steal cars, and they can switch car identification numbers in order to avoid detection. Self-defense behaviors are on the lookout for anyone who is trying to steal your car and take precautions like locking your car doors and parking where there are lots of people. Here are 10 things you can do to help protect your car from theft.
Things You Can Do To Keep Thieves Away From Your Vehicle:
- Be aware: Be alert of your surroundings when you park your car. If you are wary of the safety of your car or see someone loitering around the parking lot, it's best to park somewhere else. We also recommend double-checking that your vehicle's windows and doors are closed before leaving your car unattended.
- Get a gear and steering locks: Any gear lock mechanism that secures the gear lever is one sure way of keeping thieves at bay. It would act as a deterrent and is most likely to discourage the thieves. A steering lock adds one more string layer of security. However, it may not keep an experienced thief at bay. So the idea is to have multiple layers of deterrence that can discourage thieves.
- Lock your doors: Keeping your doors locked is the first step in deterring a thief. It's good to get into the habit of checking your car doors.
- Remove your keys from the vehicle: If your key is in the car, a thief can simply break a window and drive off. A running vehicle may be an easy mark for a thief, especially if it is unattended or unlocked.
- Do not leave a spare key near your vehicle: Some people keep a spare key under the car or in the glove box, just in case they get locked out but thieves know where to check for an extra key. While getting locked out of your car is a pain, think about the potential hassle of your car getting stolen.
- Close the windows: It's easy for a thief to get into your car without breaking in, just by opening a window or unlocking the door.
- Park in safe areas: Avoid parking in areas that are poorly lit or places that are not immediately seen by passers-by. We recommends parking under a light and in a well-trafficked area, as thieves may be deterred if they know they can easily be seen.
- Install an audible alarm system and anti-theft device: An audible alarm is designed to emit a loud noise, often the car's horn, if someone attempts to enter the vehicle while the alarm is on. Devices such as steering wheel lock or the flashing lights of an alarm setup may also be enough to keep thieves away.
- Do not leave valuables in your car: One way to attract a thief is to leave a purse, cell phone or another high-value item in a highly visible area of your car. It's best to leave anything of value at home, but, if you must have something important with you, keep it out of sight.
- Install a vehicle immobilizer system: Thieves may sometimes try to tamper with the wiring of the vehicle and the ignition. However, a vehicle immobilizer setup will always help in combating this aspect. As per experts, immobilizers may integrate kill switches, smart keys and wireless ignition-based authentication. They will help in disabling the car in order to prevent thieves from running away with the same.
- Install a tracking system: Consider adding a tracking system to your vehicle for extra protection. This device can be found on most new cars and uses wireless or GPS technology to emit a signal when your car is stolen. The authorities can then use it to see where you are and help you get back home. This may help the police recover your vehicle faster.
What are the Prevention methods for Car Theft?
Mr. Rizzu has recently purchased a top end luxury car on his wedding anniversary. He lives in a locality with congested parking place which forced him to park his car outside of his house. One bad night while he was sleeping, his car was stolen by unidentified miscreants. All the efforts done to recover the car have gone in vain as the car could not be traced.
This is the situation faced by many car owners, while this cannot be prevented completely. By following few tips the chances of car being stolen can be reduced considerably.
- Install CCTV Camera: Installing CCTV cameras in the premises where the car is parked can help to identify the robbers and can significantly decrease the chance of your vehicle being stolen and improve outdoor security.
- Protect your VIN: The VIN allows police officers to easily identify stolen vehicles, so if your car is taken, it can be returned to you when it’s discovered. Having a visible VIN also makes your car less attractive to thieves as they will need to take extra steps to ready the car for resale.
- Keep your vehicle Locked: It is highly important to keep the vehicle locked at all times to prevent the theft. Locking your car also prevents animals and rodents from entering. When your car is parked, don’t leave the keys even though if it is for a few seconds. Leaving the keys in the car is a sheer case of negligence which is not covered under insurance.
- Avoid leaving valuables unattended: Avoid leaving valuables such as Laptop, Phone etc., in the car. In case you have to leave them, make sure that you keep them out of sight or somewhere hidden the drawers of the car. Avoid travelling to high risk areas in the dark as there are chances of vehicle being stolen.
- Park your car securely: Most of the Indians park their vehicles outdoor due to lack of indoor parking. It is one of the major reasons for theft of vehicles. Since the vehicles lie unattended anyone can steal the vehicle. It is highly recommended to park your car if you have adequate parking space inside your house.
- Install Dash Cam: Dash cam is a device which can be fitted in the car near the front windshield. The dash cams have the ability to record 24/7 even when you are not using your car. You can also choose to keep the dash cam “ON” to record any suspicious activities such as attempted break-in or attempted damage to your car.
- Anti-theft System: According to a survey only 10% of the car owners have anti-theft systems installed. Anti-theft systems are designed to prevent your car’s engine from starting unless the key is present. In the same way anti-theft alarms are also designed to alert the owner if there is forcible entry into the car. Installing any of these anti-theft devices can help the owner of the car from getting the vehicle stolen. Many thieves are reluctant to steal the cars which have anti-theft devices as they become easy to track and recover. Insurance companies offer discount to vehicles fitted with anti-theft devices.
- Insurance: Last but not the least thing to do is to take comprehensive insurance for your vehicle. Having proper insurance can help cover the loss that occurs from the vehicle being stolen. The premium for insurance depends on the make, model, age and other factors of the car.
While the above tips helps in preventing the car from being stolen, insurance helps you with adequate monetary support in case your car is stolen. For best online car insurance quotes please visit PolicyBachat where you can check for the best car insurance renewal quotes and compare car insurance quotes.
What are the things to do when your Car is Stolen?
- If your car is stolen, first contact the police immediately.
- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) says you may need to provide the following information to the police:
- The year, make, model and color of the car
- License plate number
- Vehicle Identification Number (also called the "VIN")
- You'll also want to let your insurance company known within 24 hours if your vehicle has been stolen, says the NHTSA.
The insurance company will take the process forward of filing claims once the police issues its official letter on being unable to find the vehicle. While car theft is not as common as it once was, it is unfortunately still something you need to protect yourself against. Thankfully, taking a few simple precautions may help you reduce the chances of your car being stolen.
Tips to protect your car from Theft:
Do you want to protect your car from getting stolen? I'm sure you're familiar with steering wheel locks, GPS trackers and all those other things that keep thieves from stealing your car. Knowing the common types of theft and being able to identify the signs that a thief is preparing to steal your vehicle can decrease the risk of finding your car taken.
- Do not park in a place that has poor visibility. Check if there are any objects on the floor or around the car. Check underneath the car too.
- You should never travel by yourself, especially after dark.
- Say no to giving to people you don't know.
- If you feel something is not right, then back away; trust your instincts.
- If you're driving your car and see a person approaching, start to drive slowly away in a calm manner.
- If you need to stop, remember to always stay well-spaced from the cars around you.
- Travel in a middle lane.
- Always turn off your engine when getting out of the car, no matter how quick you will be.
- Do not leave your keys near your front door in your home.
A car alarm can give you peace of mind at night and in crowded parking lots. It can also save you money on car insurance rates since many insurance providers will give you a discount on your premium if you have anti-theft protection for your car. Follow below steps that will save you time and hassle in the future.
We hope that you use these tips to prevent your car from getting stolen. You should also opt to buy a comprehensive car insurance policy, so that in case of an unfortunate event of car theft, you can make a claim and deal with the financial burden that you might befall upon. We also recommend that you opt for buying adequate add-ons along with the car insurance policy such as key and lock replacement cover, so that you can get enhanced coverage for your car.